This Presidents Day Dessert is easy, healthy, and scrumptious!
Presidents Day Dessert
Celebrate Presidents day with an easy and healthy dessert! What?! Celebrate Presidents day? Who does that? Well, the government does for one. Often, government employees are off, and if you’re kids are as excited about getting the mail as mine, they’ll tell you there’s no mail that day. Technically, it is a National holiday. Many schools are closed that day.
3 Reasons to celebrate
But why celebrate? Whether your kids are home with you, or in school during the day, life is filled with teachable moments. As far as schooling goes, we homeschool, AND we public school. I never thought I’d be doing both, but that’s another topic. When we wrestled with what was best for each child, my heart didn’t want to send them away all day. But, what I realized is just because they’re not with me all day doesn’t mean I’m not involved in their lives. So we make the most of each moment we have. And we love learning! So why not learn about Presidents day?
When my kids were younger, and I was trying to make it through Michigan winters (cold, gray, dreary, mundane, did I mention cold?), I would look for opportunities to celebrate, which would make those dreary days more exciting. For example, we celebrated ground hogs day for a couple of years. My now older children, still ask me “what are we doing for groundhogs day?”
Lastly, it’s an excuse to eat dessert!! Haha! But you can feel good about this presidents day dessert, because it’s good for you. Greek yogurt, anti-oxidant berries, and no sugar added makes this the perfect treat. So let’s recap:
Celebrate Presidents Day because~
- It’s a teachable moment
- It makes an ordinary day extraordinary
- It’s a good excuse for dessert
Not sure what to say about Presidents Day? Here’s some resources made for kids:
- A brief overview on how it started
- A little more in depth history
- Activity pages
- Coloring pages and crafts
Parfaits are super easy to make! All you do is choose your ingredients and layer them in a jar or dish of your choice. In the recipe I’ve put approximate measurements to make 1 parfait. You really just want to layer the yogurt and the fruit, so when you’re making this, just do what looks best to you. It could vary depending on the size jar or dish you are using. In our family, the kids love getting their own jar to eat out of. I don’t know why, but they think that is awesome. You can make these up ahead of time and store them in the fridge. This would also make a great breakfast or snack!
Happy Presidents Day! Go make today extraordinary!
- 1 6oz container coconut yogurt
- 2 Tbs fresh blueberries (plus more for garnish)
- 1 Tbs fresh raspberries (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Start with a layer (about a tablespoon or 2) of yogurt on the bottom of a mason jar or other serving container.
- Place 1 Tbs blueberries on top.
- Layer more yogurt.
- Place 1 Tbs raspberries.
- Layer more yogurt.
- Place 1 tbs blueberries on top.
- Finish with a dollop of yogurt, fresh berries and a sprinkle of coconut.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Looking for more easy recipes? Try these: