Please tell me I'm not the only one that went a little overboard making desserts…
Happy Monday! This is Stephanie from Steph in Thyme, and today I’m sharing a dessert that was a hit at a big barbeque we hosted this past weekend at our new house. These Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Treats are gluten-free, but also a crowd pleasing dessert anyone will enjoy (and they did).
I find it hard to say “no” to a chewy, crunchy, marshmallowy treat at a summer picnic. Even more so when they are packed with rich chocolate and creamy peanut butter, such a decadent combination.
These treats are very simple and easy to prepare. Just melt, mix, chill, and serve.
The base of these treats is indulgent chocolate of Gluten-Free Chocolate Chex cereal. Chex has come out with a whole line of gluten-free cereals with fun, delicious flavors – Vanilla, Honey Nut, Cinnamon, and Apple Cinnamon…and of course, Chocolate.
If you eat the Chocolate Chex in a bowl of cold milk, the milk transforms into rich chocolate milk, the chex maintaining a crunchy texture, never turning soggy. But I digress, back to Chex Treats.
Almost a full cup of creamy peanut butter is melted along with marshmallows and unsalted butter, then poured over a big bowl filled with eight cups (nearly an entire box) of Chocolate Chex.
After everything is mixed together, peanut butter chips are folded in, partially melting into the gooey chex batter, leaving stripes of peanut butter in the sliced Chex Treats.
These Chex Treats don’t skimp on the chocolate and peanut butter flavors. The Chocolate Chex, held together by creamy peanut butter and melted peanut butter chips, are rich with flavor and an addicting chewy, crunchy texture.
I like to serve these bars slightly chilled and sliced into bite-sized treat sizes, especially if I’m serving these at a picnic. Guests clamored to taste the small bite-sized portions, coming back for seconds and thirds throughout the picnic – and most of these people were not strictly gluten-free.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Treats are a fun, flavorful dessert made with gluten-free folks in mind, but are a dessert anyone will enjoy.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Treats
- 8 cups Gluten-Free Chocolate Chex
- 10 oz bag gluten-free marshmallows
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, or grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 8 cups of Chocolate Chex in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot, melt the butter and peanut butter together over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir frequently until melted and completely blended with the butter and peanut butter.
- Remove pot from heat and pour melted contents over the chocolate chex. Mix together with a spatula until well coated. Fold in the peanut butter chips.
- Pour contents of the bowl into the center of a 9x13 pan. With a spatula, or with your hand enclosed in a greased baggie, spread out the chex evenly into all four corners of the pan.
- Let pan sit at room temperature for a half hour. Cover and chill in the fridge for another hour.
- Slice into desired square sizes and serve.
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…