This summer we spent 3 weeks in Utah visiting all of our family. I’ll do a super-fun recap later, but just know that I made some pretty awesome crafts while we were there. Gotta get my creative-fix in, right?! One of them ended up being these adorable Toilet Paper Roll Owls.
Look at that cute little guy – such a fun, feathery roll of color! And really, who doesn’t have a dozen or more empty toilet paper rolls laying around? I save basically all of mine, since you never know when a neat craft opportunity like these Toilet Paper Roll Owls will pop up!
- Empty toilet paper roll
- Colored paper of choice (for feathers/wings/body) – I used plain color for the body and wings, and patterned for the feathers
- White paper
- Black paper
- Yellow or orange paper
- Dots, jewels or something for the eye dot
- Tape and/or glue
- Fold the top and bottom of your toilet paper roll so they arch in/down, as shown.
- Cover the body with colored paper (I did plain, not patterned, for the body). Tape or glue it down nicely on the top and bottom, as well. Cut a little heart-shape out of yellow or orange paper for the feet and attach it to the bottom of the body, so it sticks down.
- Cut out a lot of feathers from the colored (patterned is what I used) paper in little half-circle type shapes. Begin at the bottom and work your way up, so each new layer covers the tape/glue of the one below. Don’t do straight rows, but make it a bit random to add more texturing to it.
- Keep on feathering, keep on feathering…. until you’re almost to the top, but not quite! Cut out long rounded-off wings and attach one to each side of your owl.
- Cut a little yellow or orange triangle and put it as the beak. Cut out large white circles, then smaller circles for the eyes and overlap them a little bit. Make sure you can still see the cute little ‘ears’ poking at the top.
- If you want to (I did!) add a little jewel or some type of accent dot in the eyes for some fun. If you want the feathers a little more ‘fluffy’, just gently bend the bottom ends of each feather upwards.
There you go, a super-cute Toilet Paper Roll Owl that’s totally awesome!
I just LOVE these little guys!
Exclusive Free Printables & Discounts!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, as well as free printables, discounts on our products and more fun!