This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BigHero6Release #CollectiveBias
We’d been counting down the days, and last week Big Hero 6 was FINALLY released on DVD! Our family loves it, so a Big Hero 6 Party was definitely in order…complete with Honey Lemon Bags, Pin the Tail on Fred and Cupcake Fruit Sushi! Free printables are always a must at parties, too, right?
To prepare, we ordered some super fun Big Hero 6 toys and supplies from Walmart.com – my kids LOVE the shooting Baymax fist and helmet! They were a little upset when I insisted we use the super cute, plush Baymax to hang in my van, but it’s adorable and I love Baymax!
When the DVD hit Walmart shelves, I was there nabbing their special 2-pack that’s ONLY available at Walmart! With the purchase of the Big Hero 6 Blu-Ray/DVD + Gift With Purchase Set, you also receive a digital movie on Vudu while supplies last! Simply scan your receipt using the Savings Catcher in the Walmart app. Then look for a message on your phone or email. Now you can watch Big Hero 6 on any device! Woot woot!
Once I got all of our supplies ordered and a date set, I had to get some friends invited, right? So I put together some neat invitations to hand out…..
Download the Invitation HERE
Then came the decorating before all those crazy, superhero-loving kiddos showed up! We used some tablecloths for backdrops, plus black streamers. I bought a pack of plain black circle stickers and used them on a LOT of our projects, such as on white balloons for eyes, just using a marker for the line between. We also nabbed some cheap red bags for favors, cut out white Baymax faces and used the stickers (with a marker for the line) to create his face!
For some chairs, we covered with part of a cheap white plastic tablecloth, then used white paper, stickers and marker to make it a Baymax seat. Super fun!
For the party food, we did WINGS just like Hiro’s sweet and goofy Aunt Cass makes!
The big hit was the Cupcake Fruit Sushi, though! Whip up some vanilla cupcakes, then divide the batter in several bowls so you can add different food coloring to match the characters. Bake as instructed, then hollow them out….
Once they’re done, use Tapioca pudding or marshmallows for the white ‘fish eggs’ from normal sushi. Different colors of fruit can then be diced and put in to match the colors of the Big Hero 6 team!
- Baymax: White and red: white cupcake with strawberries
- Hiro: Purple, black and red: Purple cupcake with strawberries and blueberries
- Honey Lemon: Pink, purple and red: Pink cupcake with strawberries and purple grapes
- Wasabi: Green and blue: Green cupcake with blueberries
- Fred: Blue, orange and yellow: Orange cupcake with mango and blueberries
- Go-Go: Yellow, black and red: Yellow cupcake with strawberries, or black cupcake with mango
There were also these budget-friendly, fun to make Honey Lemon bags – complete with her chemistry balls!
To make the balls, I first covered the styrofoam with a layer of plain glue and let dry. This made it so I could then spray paint them easily!
To make the bag:
- Take a piece of felt and curve the top 2 corners of one side.
- Fold up the bottom part-way.
- Make sure the top flap will fold over almost all the way down…and leave an edge open for you to insert the balls.
- Hot glue a little so the top flap stays down onto the bottom.
- Hot glue two strips of felt (from another piece) into the bag edge, and glue them together at the top – this is the strap for the bag.
- Glue one side closed (keep other open, remember)
- Cut out a black felt heart, like on her bag in the movie. Then use puffy paint to do the button designs and add a little more fun to it!
I finished it off by simple sewing (by hand, took a couple minutes total) these colorful beads along the handle. Now it REALLY looks like Honey Lemon’s bag!
We even cut out neon-paper into circles, taped on glow sticks, and ran around like Go-Go! The kids thought it was awesome!
We made sure to add some little details, like the suckers! Remember this – ‘You’ve been a good patient, have a lollipop!’
They all had so much fun, and still love playing with the great toys we got for the party! They’re all still quoting their favorite parts from the movie, too. One of mine, other than Baymax’s fist bump, is ‘Woman Up’ by Go-Go!
What’s YOUR favorite quote from Big Hero 6?
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…