My kids love taking paper and creating things with them – from ‘houses’, to figurines, fun shapes and more. The great thing about it is that you can mix up the colors and sizes to really create a ton of possibilities. This fun DIY Paper Leaf Craft for Kids is perfect, and they can use it to decorate, play, or just for working those fine motor skills!
We did something slightly similar when we shared a DIY Paper Flower craft, and this is just as easy to follow and flexible. You can even try it with some cool textured paper to really make the leaves unique! You only need a few quick supplies, then you’re all set to start your own paper leaf project.
- Colored Craft Paper
- Craft Glue
- Select a colored craft paper and cut it into a square. Fold the paper into half to mark the mid line. Unfold the half fold again.
- Fold the paper from any one side to meet the mid line. Fold the other side to meet the mid line as well.
- Again, fold the paper into half lengthwise.
- Create a small diagonal fold at any one open end corner.
- Start making small and even folds diagonally by keeping the folds aligned with the first diagonal fold. Try keeping the folds even.
- Continue to create small diagonal folds until reaching the other end of the paper.
- Unfold the last lengthwise fold made in step 3.
- Squeeze and twist the bottom end of the folded paper to create the stem of the leaf. Apply glue to secure the twist.
- Now apply glue along the top widest fold of the folded paper.
- After applying the glue join the widest top folds to form the basic leaf shape.
- There will be a small part of the top folds pointing outwards at the backside of the leaf, use scissors to cut off that extra part.
Don’t be intimidated by so many steps – they’re each very simple and quick, we just spread them out to make it even easier to follow! I’m thinking to make a bunch of these are around fall, as well, then having the kids create ‘trees’ using fallen branches. So fun!
What could you use a colorful paper leaf for?
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…