This year, our family is really excited about May the fourth! In the past it's…
I’m sure by now y’all know how much my family LOVES Star Wars – from the original movies, to Clone Wars and Rebels series, and especially the new ones – they’re fantastic! So, naturally, we also really love doing crafts and projects that go along with it, such as this fun DIY Lightsaber Skirt. It’s actually really easy to create, plus you can customize it how you like!
Contains affiliate links that support this blog at no extra cost to you. See our Disclosure for more info.
I figured it was only appropriate to wear it along with my DIY Star Wars Rebels shirt, and hubby requested I get at least some pics with my lightsaber – we all made our own during our last visit to Disneyland and are thrilled with any excuse to get them out.
- Skirt of choice – prewashed
- Puffy fabric paints – lightsaber colors, plus black or dark grey for the hilt
- Fabric spray paint – to add that ‘glow’ look
- Scrap paper (large piece)
Note: if your fabric is thin, the paints may leak through – you can stick a piece of cardboard underneath to save your surface.
- Lay out your skirt flat. Use your black/grey puffy fabric paint and draw an outline of hilts all around the edges of the skirt. It’s mostly some lines – you can look at my example.
- Carefully use the colored puffy paints to do a lightsaber above each hilt all around the skirt. Take a scrap piece of paper, with a rough lightsaber shape cut out in it, and hold it a few inches or so above each lightsaber – then spray the fabric spray paint. This helps it not have ‘sharp’ edges, as it would if you held it close.
- If you WANT, randomly spray black and/or yellow fabric spray paint all over the skirt. I did for a more ‘galaxy’ look so it had more dimension/coloring to it.
- Allow everything to dry, then show it off!
I stuck to the ‘main’ lightsaber colors of green, blue, red – and had to add Mace Windu’s purple, just like the one I made! I was thrilled with how the lightsaber skirt turned out, and plan to try one on a black skirt, next! Wouldn’t that look so neat with a black background, colorful lightsabers, and a spattering of yellow/white for stars and galaxies? Can’t wait to see how that one works out!
It’d be great to wear on your next Disney trip, so head over to Get Away Today and book yours now – use Promo Code: BusyMomsHelper for $10 off your package. Don’t forget your Activity & Autograph Book! Then whip up this skirt for some extra Star Wars fun!
Other Star Wars fun….
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…