This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
Super hero fans, show off your geeky side with an easy craft for Christmas that features Marvel and DC Comics. These DiY super hero ornaments will look fantastic on your Christmas tree, no matter which universe is your favorite. All you need is a few basic craft supplies and the free printable patterns.
Hi! It’s Keri from One Mama’s Daily Drama. We are mostly Marvel fans at my house, although we are getting into the DC universe a little bit. I know that Danielle’s family loves DC too, so I wanted to share the super hero love here.
I made three Marvel patterns: Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow. I also made three DC patterns: Batman, The Flash, and Wonder Woman.
These ornaments are made from felt and require no sewing. They’re the perfect family craft to get everyone in the holiday spirit. I think this will be fun for a pretty wide age range.
This would be fun for a Christmas party activity too. Everyone could pick their favorite hero to make. Although I think if you asked my kids which super hero is their favorite, they would say all of them.
- printable super hero ornament patterns: Marvel heroes and DC heroes
- newspaper to protect your work surface
- felt in several colors
- ribbon in matching colors
- permanent marker
- craft glue
- spray starch (optional)
*Lay out newspaper to protect your work surface from glue and starch.
1. Start by printing and cutting out the super hero ornaments patterns.
2. Trace the outside circle on to the felt and cut it out. I used a permanent marker for everything but the black. You could use white chalk, but I just held the paper and cut slowly.
3. Trim the outermost section from the pattern and trace it again onto the next color. Repeat this step until you have all of the pieces cut out. Most of these only have two or three layers. (Captain America will take a little longer with five.)
4. Stack the layers for each ornament to plan the placement. Using the craft glue, glue the layers together and let them dry. This should take about 10 minutes or so, depending on your glue.
5. When the ornaments are completely dry, pinch the top section in half and cut a small slit for the ribbon. Cut a piece of ribbon about 5 inches long. Poke it through the hole and tie a knot at the top.
6. If you want the ornaments to be stiffer, hang them up and spray the starch on both sides. Allow them to dry for half an hour or more. This step is optional and I found that some ornaments were thicker than others to begin with (like Captain America) because of the added layers.
When the starch is completely dry, the ornaments are ready to hang on the tree.
These are a lot of fun to make. My son was really excited to see them come together and immediately asked me if I could make more super hero patterns.
If you liked this post, you might also be interested in How to Build LEGO Christmas Ornaments on One Mama’s Daily Drama.
Which super hero ornament is your favorite?
Exclusive Free Printables & Discounts!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, as well as free printables, discounts on our products and more fun!