I love crafts and diy projects year-round, but the holidays tend to bring out my…
Do you go all out for Thanksgiving when you host? I sure would love to – an elegant spread, name cards and centerpieces and the whole lot. The reality is that I simply can’t – between time, money and the 5 kids ‘helping’ with setting everything up, we’ve got to keep it simple. One idea is to get them involved and just have fun with it – like making these DIY Thanksgiving Place Settings! They’re super simple and quick, and even though they aren’t the ‘fanciest’, they’re still plenty colorful and entertaining for any holiday table.
Y’all know I’m a big fan of crafts that can be done using scraps, right? Well all this takes is scraps of straws, Popsicle sticks, paper and hot glue – easy-peasy! It’s even better if you have a variety of Thanksgiving colors, like reds, yellows, oranges, browns and golds. Just think of all those pretty fall shades!
You can totally customize these to be whatever size or shape you’d like, and get as creative with the letter (or full name, if you feel ambitious) as you’d like. I considered sparkles, but then realized we’d all end up with sparkles in our food so dismissed that pretty quickly. Add a cute, colored feather in the top corner, or a mini turkey sticker. Have fun with it, especially if your kids are helping you put them together (and be careful with that hot glue!).
- Popsicle Sticks
- Hot Glue/Gun
- Cut the straws to the size you’d like. We just did them in half. Cut the popsicle sticks so they fit behind your final shape, holding it together but not sticking out the sides.
- When you have the straws laid out however you’d like (I tried to line up the stripes so it looked like a continuous, multi-colored pattern), add some hot glue on the back and carefully place your popsicle stick on it. Try to make it go all the way across the straws, so it’ll hold them all together. Cross them, or just line them up next to each other – the main point is that they are there to secure all the straws in place.
- Cut out (or use stickers) for the letters or names to go on each of the place settings – glue or stick them on.
That’s it – super simple, and you can get as creative as you’d like! Just place on your each plate/napkin for some colorful Thanksgiving place settings for everyone to enjoy.
What’s YOUR favorite Thanksgiving color? Mine’s probably the reds 🙂
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…
Latest posts by Kelly Dedeaux (see all)
- Copy-Cat Carnival Strawberry Bisque - September 29, 2022
- 14 Gifts of Valentines with Free Printables, plus MORE - September 27, 2022
- 100+ DIY Harry Potter Ideas - September 27, 2022