This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
I’m so excited that Toy Story Land is now open at Walt Disney World! This will be the first new expansion at Disney’s Hollywood Studios since 1994. The new land, themed to Andy’s backyard and all of his favorite toys, is being revealed right in the middle of the peak summer season. It’s going to be incredibly busy, but with this guide you’ll get a really good understanding of what’s in store. Read on to learn more about the new Toy Story Land, what it brings to the table, what to expect in terms of crowds and how to deal with them.
photos courtesy of Walt Disney World, used with permission
What to Expect at Toy Story Land Opening
Disney openings are notoriously huge with record crowds and multiple hour wait times for a single ride. Disney’s Hollywood Studios is not a large park to begin with, which is why this expansion is so important to the park. What that also means is that there will be growing pains as the park reaches full capacity and has to turn guests away at the gate. For those who do make it in to experience the new land, remember to be patient and try to enjoy yourself.
Toy Story Land Tour
Toy Story Land is located behind Pixar Place around the back of the Chinese Theatre. It will include the recently refurbished Toy Story Mania attraction in which guests are invited by Woody, Buzz and the gang to try their hand at racking up points on various Toy Story themed carnival rides, full of thrilling competitive fun that uses 3D technology to work it’s magic.
The new offerings as you go deep into Andy’s backyard are the Slinky Dog Dash and the Alien Swirling Saucers. The saucers should be familiar to anyone who’s visited Cars Land at Disney’s California Adventure. It’s the same spinning, twirling attraction. The new sci-fi theme features the green aliens from the claw machine at Pizza Planet. Slinky Dog Dash is a coaster that zips all over Toy Story Land. It will be open to all guests that reach the minimum height requirement of 38 inches.
Slinky Dog Dash is the big attraction in the area. Across from it in the back is the Alien Swirling Saucers attraction. In the front of the land on the opposite corner of the main entrance is Woody’s Lunch Box. The Lunch Box is a counter service food location within Toy Story Land that will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. It features a sure-to-be-popular dessert, lunch box tarts. The stuffed pastries will come in raspberry and chocolate hazelnut.
Tips for getting the most out of opening day
- It’s going to be a very crowded opening and is going to reach capacity – meaning guests will be turned away at the park gate. To ensure your entry into the park, arrive two hours in advance. I know – ouch – but worth it to ensure you get in on the fun!
- If you’re staying at a resort within walking distance, you should walk. Otherwise, use a ride sharing app so you aren’t waiting for busses or searching for parking.
- Since the Lunch Box serves food all day, finding an opportunity to slip in will be challenging. Have someone in your party get the food while you’re waiting in line. That way you can eat while you wait!
- In the coming months, it will be very important to have a Fastpass for Slinky Dog Dash and continue to arrive at the park early. If you can get a Fastpass for evening, use a park hopper ticket to get in during the late afternoon after many of the morning’s guests have left.
If you’ve been to Toy Story Land, let me know your thoughts!
Exclusive Free Printables & Discounts!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, as well as free printables, discounts on our products and more fun!
Latest posts by Danielle (see all)
- Over 100 Stocking Stuffers under $10 - November 17, 2018
- Queso Fundido Strata - November 16, 2018
- Holiday Gift Guide: Gifts for Learners & Homeschoolers - November 15, 2018