This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
Polar Express Hot Chocolate!
Ever watch Polar express and see the hot chocolate scene and think how amazing that hot chocolate has to be? Every time I watch Polar Express I have to have hot chocolate and now have a recipe for Polar Express Hot Chocolate that is amazing!
This recipe is pretty simple but it does take longer than sticking a cup of water in the microwave and pouring in a packet. This recipe is also very versatile where you can take out things or adjust it to your liking, like when I am in a hurry I will usually just mix a little heavy whipping cream, milk, and hot cocoa mix together. With this recipe you can also have a fun hot chocolate party with your kids or in my case my sister and friends. So try it out, change it up, but grab a cup and the movie Polar Express and enjoy!
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips (make sure they are milk because semi and dark make it not so sweet)
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Toppings! Marshmallows, chocolate chips, cool whip, candy canes, or whatever you like on your hot chocolate!
- Put all ingredients in a medium pot (except for toppings) and stir until chocolate chips are melted. Can also put in a slow cooker.
- Once melted take off burner and let cool for 20 – 30 minutes or faster if you put it in the fridge. Usually getting it all melted boils the liquid and no one wants to burn their tongue so just make sure it’s not boiling when you try or your kids try to drink it.
- Pour hot chocolate into a cup and top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Polar Express Cupcakes
Now we have our drink for the movie and you can’t watch a movie without some kind of treat. These Polar Express Cupcakes are perfect for those with a sweet tooth. These cupcakes also carry a little surprise in the middle of them.
I use a basic betty crocker cupcake recipe and a vanilla cream cheese frosting, but really you can use whatever recipe you like.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- Candy canes
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Mini candy canes
- Christmas sprinkles
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 – 4 tablespoons milk (I usually end up using just over 2 tablespoons)
- Heat oven to 350⁰ F. Place cupcake liners into cooking sheet.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together and set aside. Mix hot water and cocoa together until dissolved; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening until creamy, then slowly add sugar about ¼ cup at a time beating well and scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each. Stir in vanilla.
- Alternating between flour mixture and cocoa mixture slowly add to the mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners filling them about 2/3 full. (about 24 cupcakes)
- Cut 12 marshmallows in half and place in the middle of each cupcake, you don’t have to press them all the way down.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes. Marshmallows will have mostly dissolved and look messy but that’s ok because they’ll be covered.
- Once you pull the cupcakes out place 1 marshmallow into the crater or you could just place a half marshmallow.
- Place cupcakes back into oven for about 3 – 5 minutes just until marshmallows get softened.
- Pull out and let cool completely, very important they are cool before you start frosting.
- Place butter in a mixing bowl and cream. Add cream cheese and mix until full combined and smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar and blend on low until fluffy.
- Slowly add milk a little at a time until the right consistency.
- Beat until fluffy, about 1 – 2 minutes
Decorate! Frost the cupcakes, then add any toppings you would like. To finish it off place a mini candy cane on the side for a “Handle” for a nice Hot Chocolate Cupcake! Try adding ¼ teaspoon mint extract to the cupcakes or frosting for a nice mint flavor!