This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
Hello, Friends! This is Steph from Steph in Thyme, and today I’m sharing a delicious – yet different – kind of breakfast recipe. This gluten-free Savory Fall Oatmeal is a bowl of cozy goodness featuring roasted butternut squash and sautéed dinosaur kale. Start your day in a new way with this deliciously healthy breakfast recipe.
A bowl of oatmeal filled with fruit, cinnamon, and a touch of milk is a dreamy breakfast. But have you ever had a bowl of oatmeal with savory flavors instead? It’s certainly different, but still a treat.
Cubes of butternut squash are roasted until fork tender and seasoned simply with olive oil, salt and pepper. Simple, clean, scrumptious fall flavors.
While the butternut squash is roasting, minced shallot and olive oil are simmered in a skillet. Coarsely chopped Dinosaur Kale is cooked with a touch of vegetable broth until wilted.
Dinosaur Kale is also known as Tuscan Kale or Lacinato Kale. I love calling it by its dinosaur name because the leaves look like the wrinkled, dimpled skin of a dinosaur.
Gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats are cooked in the microwave until creamy (if you aren’t gluten-free, you can use regular oats).
Divide the cooked oats, kale, and butternut squash between two bowls and enjoy immediately.
This recipe serves as a delicious base for additional toppings.
Poach an egg and place it on top of the veggie mound for a protein-packed breakfast. You could also add a fried egg with Parmesan cheese. Or, why not add some creamy, tangy goat cheese on top?
So many ways to take up this savory oatmeal up a notch. Which will you try first?
Savory Oatmeal with Butternut Squash and Kale
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 cups dinosaur kale ribs removed and coarsely chopped (otherwise known as lacinato kale)
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth
- Preheat to 425 F. Place two cups of cubed raw butternut squash on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over top and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and arrange squash in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until squash can be pierced with a fork.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the other ingredients. Heat remaining olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the minced shallot and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the kale and toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add the vegetable broth and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- When you add the kale to the skillet, place 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of water in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until water is absorbed. Let sit covered for 1 minute.
- Stir oatmeal and divide between two bowls. Layer sautéed kale over top, followed by roasted butternut squash. Serve immediately.