It is back yard barbecue season! Hosting an outdoor gathering is always so much fun. Why not beef up your bbq with these All American Hot Dogs? Take it up a notch, add some fun!
All American Hot Dogs
So, let’s talk about hot dogs for a moment shall we? Do you love’em or hate’em? I remember being a kid and thinking they were the best things ever! Well, my tastes have changed, slightly, to say the least.
Since I’m a much healthier eater now than when I was a kid, I have a hard time buying hot dogs. Simply because they are processed and often loaded with things that aren’t the best for you. I’m continuously trying to make the best possible version of whatever I’m making. So, while I don’t think there is such a thing as a “healthy” hot dog, there are better for you options.
I love to keep entertaining simple but delightful. So these All American Hot Dogs really do bring the norm to another level with added barbecue pork and creamy cole slaw. But, it doesn’t take too much more effort. And, I’m using all beef, no nitrates, blah blah blah… they’re better for you! 🙂 I’ll also use an all natural barbecue sauce, and broccoli slaw instead of cabbage.
What you need~
- all natural, beef hot dogs (or regular hot dogs do just fine)
- season all
- Pork shoulder
- all natural barbecue sauce
- broccoli slaw
- dijon mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- poppy seeds
- hot dog buns
What to do~
- Season the pork shoulder generously with season all or some other all purpose seasoning. Cook the pork shoulder, low and slow until you can shred it with a fork.
- Shred the pork with a fork and place into another pan or container. Add barbecue sauce and stir well.
- Make the slaw~ combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, honey, and salt and stir well. Add a 12 oz package of broccoli slaw and toss to combine. Top with poppy seeds.
- Put it all together! After grilling your dogs, top them with bbq pork and slaw and enjoy!
- I used the slow cooker to cook the pork shoulder. It needed a good 10 hours on low. For sure prep this beforehand. If you’d prefer to use your oven, see this shredded pork recipe.
- You can use regular cole slaw if you prefer, or chop up your own green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots. I chose broccoli slaw to add some more nutrition.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did. It was a nice way to change up the regular routine without too much more effort.
All American Hot Dogs
- 1 package of all nautral all beef hot dogs no nitrates added.
- 1 pork shoulder
- seasoned salt
- 1 bottle of all natural bbq sauce or homemade
- 1 12 oz package broccoli slaw
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- poppy seeds for garnishing
- 8 hot dog buns
- Prepare the pork, by seasoning generously with seasoned salt.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours on low, or until you can easily shred with a fork.
- Shred all the pork, place it in a pan on low heat to maintain warmth.
- Add barbecue sauce (about 2 1/2 cups, or to taste) and stir to combine.
- For the slaw:
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, honey and salt together and stir well.
- Add the broccoli slaw to the dressing and toss to coat.
- Garnish with poppy seeds.
- Grill hot dogs until hot throughout and plump.
- Top each hotdog with bbq pork and creamy cole slaw, garnish with more poppy seeds if desired.
Looking for more back yard bbq ideas?