Hello! This is Stephanie from Steph in Thyme, and today I’m sharing a healthy snack recipe with a simple, yet gourmet twist. These Truffle & Garlic Kale Chips are super easy to prepare but rich with flavor. Pour a big bowl, they’ll go fast!
One of my favorite ways to eat kale is baked into chips. Crispy, light as air, and much healthier than your corn or potato-based chips.
The curly variety of kale with its tight leafy folds creates delicious chips full of texture and crunch.
Simply slice away the stems and tough inner ribs of the kale and tear the leaves into a little larger than bite-sized pieces (they’ll shrink down as they cook). Add the kale pieces to a large mixing bowl and drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over top.
Use your hands to massage the oil into the kale. And I mean really massage the kale – it sounds odd, but use your whole hand and pretend you’re giving someone a shoulder rub. This motion thoroughly coats the kale pieces with the oil all the way into the curly crevices.
Finish the kale chips with a dusting of garlic powder and sprinkle of black truffle salt.
This salt is one of my favorite ingredients. A little container seems expensive, but that little container goes a long way. Just a hint of truffle salt adds such a huge flavor boost to a wide array of foods. Popcorn, roasted vegetables, soup, mac & cheese. So many possibilities. Even if you use the salt often (like me), you won’t run out of it quickly because you only use a teensy bit at a time.
I bought my truffle salt at a boutique olive oil store in Saratoga Springs, but specialty stores like Sur La Table sell truffle salt. You can also purchase it on Amazon. I highly recommend – it is DIVINE.
Once the kale chips are oiled and seasoned, arrange the pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Bake at a low heat, 250 F, for 25-30 minutes until the chips are dried out and crispy, but not browned.
Enjoy the chips right away, or store in an air-tight container to munch on later.
These chips are addicting, so full of crispy crunch. Light as air, melting in your mouth. The flavors of garlic and truffle are rich but not overpowering, cultivating a craving that urges your hand to reach for more.
I bet you can’t eat just one…but unlike potato chips, you won’t have the guilt if you eat the whole bag!
Truffle & Garlic Kale Chips
- 4 cups curly kale stems and ribs removed, cut into larger than bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black truffle salt plus additional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 250 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the trimmed kale pieces in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the kale then massage with your hands until pieces are completely coated.
- Sprinkle salt and garlic powder over the kale and toss lightly to coat.
- Arrange the kale pieces in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the kale pieces have dried out and are crispy, but not browned.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and pour kale chips into a serving bowl. Sprinkle additional truffle salt on top, if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.