Nikki here to tell you a little bit about me. I love sugar, along with like everyone else, but the one thing I have never really liked is sugar cookies. Well four years ago I got married and can you guess what his favorite cookie is? Right, sugar cookies. I never wanted to make them for him because they were awful and even store bought ones I thought were bad and being the wonderful husband that he is we would always get the kind that I liked. I had tried different store bought ones, recipes with milk, or cream cheese, or whatever else and nothing was good. Now I am glad to tell you that that has all changed! I found a different recipe and it is amazing! I love these sugar cookies so much that I will gladly make them for my husband anytime he wants because I love them too!
These sugar cookies are amazing and simple to make, perfect for all the upcoming holidays. This recipe is simple to double if you need and these cookies keep fresh very well.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus another 1-2 cups extra for rolling dough out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Beat in the extracts and egg till combined.
- Add in the baking powder.
- One cup at a time add in the flour making sure its mixed in well before adding in another.
- Sprinkle flour on a work surface. Make sure there is plenty of flour so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Dump dough out onto the flour, sprinkle top with more flour and roll to about ¼ inch thick and use whatever cookie cutter shape you prefer.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. These don’t turn brown till they’re almost too done, mine are usually in the oven for about 8:45.
- let completely cool before frosting.
- Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies depending on the size, thickness, and how much cookie dough you eat.
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature, NOT melted.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk (can add more for desired consistency)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in extracts.
- Very slowly add in the milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Add in desired food coloring till color is reached.
- Spread onto cooled cookies and decorate!