Hello, Friends! This is Stephanie from Steph in Thyme, and today I’m sharing another of my favorite spiralized recipes – Spiralized Zucchini Noodles with a Mushroom Marinara. It’s a healthy, gluten-free, delicious Meatless Monday meal ready in less than a half hour. Who is ready to spiralize??
A few months ago, I shared a recipe for Spiralized Zucchini Noodles with a Simple Roasted Tomato Sauce. Quick and light, this easy spiralized recipe was perfect for hot days as we moved into the summer months.
With fall on the horizon, a slight chill fringing the air, the simple roasted tomato sauce is swapped for a heartier, “meatier” sauce. Chock full of fresh mushrooms, this warm and filling meal is a tasty transition meal between summer and fall.
A full pound of cremini mushrooms are used in this tomato sauce, the meaty nature of the mushrooms creating an earthy sauce thick and filling, but still healthy and delicious.
Zucchini noodles, created with a handy kitchen gadget called a Spiralizer, are a creative and very healthy (and sneaky) way to increase your vegetable intake. If you’re curious about spiralizing and want to learn more, I have lots of spiralizing resources and recipes for you.
This quick and easy meatless meal is very customizable. Looking for a richer sauce? Add a 1/4 cup of red wine to the simmering pot. Craving a spicier kick? Add a 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper. In the mood for something slightly more creamy? Add Parmesan cheese, both to the sauce and on top of your bowl of zucchini noodles. Whatever you’re craving, it’s a meal you can make your way.
Spiralized Zucchini Noodles with Hearty Mushroom Marinara Sauce
- 4 medium zucchini spiralized into spaghetti noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 24 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional, for heat
- 1/4 cup red wine optional, for richness
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim the ends off all zucchini. Spiralize each zucchini into spaghetti size noodles (Blade C for most spiralizers). If you don't have a spiralizer, peel the zucchini with a julienne peeler.
- Heat half the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add half of the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add all of the sliced mushrooms and toss lightly to coat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms soften, but still have texture.
- Remove lid and pour in the marinara sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the sauce begins to boil and is heated through. Add red wine and crushed red pepper, if desired. Reduce heat to simmer as you prepare the zucchini noodles.
- In a separate saucepan or skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in all the zucchini and toss with tongs to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until zucchini begins to soften but still has texture and bite (they overcook and turn soft fast!) Remove from heat.
- Divide the zucchini noodles amongst four bowls. Top each bowl with a hearty servings of mushroom marinara. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.