You all know how much I love chocolate, but that doesn’t mean I can;t enjoy other flavors or types of dessert recipes, too. I love mixing it up sometimes with yummy ideas like this Orange Sponge Pudding. It’s so smooth and refreshing, you may find yourself not wanting to share!
Isn’t it pretty, too? This would be the perfect little dessert for a party or special gathering. With a little orange wedge and mint leaf on top, it looks elegant enough for any occasion!
Note: Serves 6
- 1½ cups of Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- 3 Eggs, large, separated
- ¾ cup of Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup All-purpose Flour
- Zest and juice of 1 large Naval Orange (or about 1 tablespoon of zest and 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice)
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Separate the eggs. Combine the milk and butter in a saucepan and heat over medium heat, till the butter is melted and the milk is scalding but not boiling. Remove from heat and let it cool for just couple of minutes.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl. Add sugar. Whisk the eggs and the sugar for a minute till creamy. Gradually add the hot milk, whisking continuously, till the sugar is dissolved. Add the zest and juice of one large Navel orange. Whisk it well.
- Now add the all-purpose flour along with a pinch of salt. Whisk it well and ensure a lump free batter. Keep aside. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold in the whipped egg whites into the prepared batter.
- Divide the batter equally between 6 custard bowls or ramekins. Arrange bowls in a baking or roasting pan. Add hot water to come halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake puddings for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden, about 15 minutes. Let custard bowls sit in the water for 10 more minutes. Finish cooling on a wire rack. Serve chilled or at room temperature with a light dusting of powdered sugar (optional).
Since hubby loves chocolate oranges so much, I’m considering trying these with a light drizzle of chocolate frosting – that sounds almost too good to be true, though! Whether you try it a little different or as-is, you’ll love this drool-worthy sponge pudding.
Exclusive Free Printables & Discounts!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, as well as free printables, discounts on our products and more fun!
You may also like -
Latest posts by Danielle (see all)
- Victoria & Albert’s Chefs Table in the Grand Floridian - December 5, 2017
- Tips for Sharing a Workspace at Home - December 4, 2017
- Make Your Own Stocking Advent Calendar - December 2, 2017