This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
With all this rain, the leaves and flowers are popping up fast and making it feel like Spring. I’m definitely not a winter person, so my mood has improved with this coming season! Soon there will be colorful plants everywhere – and why not make your own beautiful Dahlia flowers with this fun project? You can do these fun DIY Paper Flowers for Spring to decorate your home or office, give as a sweet bouquet, or just because.
- Colored craft paper– 3 or more colors of your choice
- Cardstock paper
- Craft glue
- Select 3 or more different colors of craft paper for the flower and cut out square shapes from them. Cut out the squares in 3 different sizes and for each size cut 8 pieces of squares. Also cut out a round pattern, then cut it into a spiral.
- Take any one of the square cut-outs and fold any one corner towards the middle of the square.
- Now fold the opposite corner towards the middle (keeping the previous fold on its place). Overlap both folds by 1 cm and glue the overlapped part to secure the cone shape.
- Similarly create cone patterns with the rest of the square cut outs. Take the spiral pattern and start rolling it from its outer edge towards the center and then glue the roll with the center to secure it; this will be the center part of the flower.
- Cut out a round shape from a cardstock paper. The size of the round cut out would depend on the size of the square cut outs. Apply 8 lines of glue around the round pattern; from its outer edge towards the center, the lines don’t need to reach the center. I applied 8 lines of glue because I prepared 8 cones for each layer for the dahlia. The round pattern is the base.
- Take the large cones and place each cone on each lines of glue with the cones’ open (wider) end facing outwards. Make sure to keep even gaps between the cones and arrange them nicely.
- Go for the next layer with the medium sized cones. Glue the medium cones slightly inwards (joining the closed end of the cones at the center of the base and between 2 larger cones.
- Now glue the small sized cones similarly; gluing each small cone between 2 medium cones and towards the center.
- And finally, glue the rolled spiral piece on the center to complete the dahlia flower.
You can even mix it up and do variations by mixing and matching different colors of paper, or different numbers and layers of cones. It’s up to you – just have fun with it!
What color of paper flower would YOU like best?
Exclusive Free Printables & Discounts!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, as well as free printables, discounts on our products and more fun!
Latest posts by Danielle (see all)
- Best & Worst Months to Visit Disney World in 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Creative Way to Include Batteries with Gifts – with free printable! - December 11, 2018
- 17 Slow Cooker Christmas Recipes - December 10, 2018