I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. #PANFan
I’m loving how quick and easy it is to whip up these Caprese Arepa Sandwiches! Great for lunch, or we even enjoy them as snacks, too. Warm, moist and completely delish! They’d be super easy to pack into my kiddos lunches this coming school year, also, which makes them a definite win in my book.
These are especially great because of the versatility – you can use them for any type of sandwich whether it’s a tuna or a classic roast beef, or serve them as a single treat with honey or jam! My kids now ask for these quite often instead of their normal sliced bread!
- 2 cups P.A.N. Cornmeal
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 4-5 slices Mozzarella
- 4-5 Slices Tomato
- Dash Balsamic Vinegar, to taste
- Dash Basil leaves, to taste
- Mix the P.A.N. Cornmeal and salt together in a bowl. Stir in the water until well-mixed, then let sit about 5 minutes. Knead the dough and divide into 8 pieces, rolling each into a ball then pressing flat.
- In a large skillet, spread the vegetable oil and heat over medium. Carefully place the Arepa’s in the pan and heat, covered, about 6-8 minutes. Flip them over and heat, uncovered, about 6-8 more minutes.
- Remove and top 4 arepas with a slice of cheese, dash of balsamic vinegar, dash of basil leaves and a slice of tomato. Top it off with another arepa and enjoy!
I originally thought that these would be really fluffy, and they are but with a lot of moist ‘oomph’ inside, as well! It really fills you up – which makes these even better! The P.A.N. Cornmeal, the number one cornmeal in South America that’s now making it’s into USA Kitchens, really gives it a nice texture inside that blends well with the melted mozzarella.
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…