This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
I’M SO GLAD IT’S FRIDAY!!! Okay, sorry to scream at you, but I had to just shout out my relief that this heck-of-a-week is finally over! I hope you all have had a much better week than us! At least I got to enjoy the last of these so-dang-good-can’t-stop-at-one No Cake Mix Red Velvet Cookies!
Now I love a good box mix cookie, cake or brownie just as much as the next sugar-aholic, but sometimes you just want to go ‘old school’ and make it from scratch. For these, though, I actually had a very important reason for not using a box mix: my uber-sweet aunt that lives down the street LOVES red velvet cookies…but she’s allergic to red food coloring! EEEEK! I wanted to do something for her, so decided to whip up a batch of these, complete with creamy-and-addictive cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients – Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp. Milk
- 3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Chips of your choice (I used mostly white chips, with a few mini chocolate ones)
- If Desired: Add 2-4 tsp. Red Food Coloring
Directions – Cookies
- In a large bowl, mix the Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
- In a separate bowl, use a fork or mixer to ‘smoosh’ the softened Butter, Brown Sugar and Sugar until it’s well-mixed. Add the Egg, Milk and Vanilla and mix well. If using, now mix in the Food Coloring.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a soft dough is formed. Stir in the chips.
- Use aluminum foil or plastic wrap to cover the dough and chill for at least 1-2 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Line or spray two baking sheets.
- Spoon the dough in 1″ balls and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE, or they won’t be soft and moist.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Ingredients – Frosting
- 2 boxes (16 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 sticks (1 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 8 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Directions – Frosting
- In a bowl, mix the Cream Cheese and Butter until well-combined.
- One cup at a time, add the Powdered Sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the Vanilla and fully combined. Spread on cookies, and enjoy!
Notes: Refrigerate frosting, as it has cream cheese in it.
My aunt was so excited for these Red Velvet cookies, and said they were the BEST COOKIES SHE’S EVER HAD! Boo-yah!