You are going to LOVE today's recipe, guys! Red Velvet Oreo Truffles. Yumm-o! We had…
I’M SO GLAD IT’S FRIDAY!!! Okay, sorry to scream at you, but I had to just shout out my relief that this heck-of-a-week is finally over! I hope you all have had a much better week than us! At least I got to enjoy the last of these so-dang-good-can’t-stop-at-one No Cake Mix Red Velvet Cookies!
Now I love a good box mix cookie, cake or brownie just as much as the next sugar-aholic, but sometimes you just want to go ‘old school’ and make it from scratch. For these, though, I actually had a very important reason for not using a box mix: my uber-sweet aunt that lives down the street LOVES red velvet cookies…but she’s allergic to red food coloring! EEEEK! I wanted to do something for her, so decided to whip up a batch of these, complete with creamy-and-addictive cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients – Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp. Milk
- 3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Chips of your choice (I used mostly white chips, with a few mini chocolate ones)
- If Desired: Add 2-4 tsp. Red Food Coloring
Directions – Cookies
- In a large bowl, mix the Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
- In a separate bowl, use a fork or mixer to ‘smoosh’ the softened Butter, Brown Sugar and Sugar until it’s well-mixed. Add the Egg, Milk and Vanilla and mix well. If using, now mix in the Food Coloring.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a soft dough is formed. Stir in the chips.
- Use aluminum foil or plastic wrap to cover the dough and chill for at least 1-2 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Line or spray two baking sheets.
- Spoon the dough in 1″ balls and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE, or they won’t be soft and moist.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Ingredients – Frosting
- 2 boxes (16 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 sticks (1 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 8 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Directions – Frosting
- In a bowl, mix the Cream Cheese and Butter until well-combined.
- One cup at a time, add the Powdered Sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the Vanilla and fully combined. Spread on cookies, and enjoy!
Notes: Refrigerate frosting, as it has cream cheese in it.
My aunt was so excited for these Red Velvet cookies, and said they were the BEST COOKIES SHE’S EVER HAD! Boo-yah!
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…