All posts may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more info.
Please tell me I’m not the only one who believes that apple pie is a completely acceptable breakfast! Anyone else? I’m not saying I’d give it to myself (or my kids) very often – but if we have some of this fresh baked Apple Crumb Cake around, I’ll definitely enjoy it at least ONCE for breakfast….okay, maybe twice.
Whether you like your apple cake warm, cold or the perfect room temperature – you’re bound to enjoy this delish recipe that’s easy to make! I whipped this up first around Thanksgiving (remember when I went crazy with the desserts that month?) and it was the perfect combo of cinnamon & apple goodness.
Ingredients – crumble
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Apple, large, peeled & diced
Ingredients – apple cake
- 4 tbsp. Butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg, large
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Apple, large, peeled and diced
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
Ingredients – glaze
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Spray an 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cake: In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, add the egg and beat well, then mbeat in the vanilla and sour cream until smooth. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and apples until well-combined. Add to the butter mixture and stir lightly just until combined. Spread half the cake batter into the bottom of the prepared pan (will be a very thin layer, don’t worry).
- Crumble: In a bowl, whisk all of the crumble ingredients until combined and moist. Sprinkle about 1 cup over the layer in the baking pan. Add the remaining cake batter, then top off with the remaining crumble.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the outside of the springform pan.
- Glaze: whisk together the apple cider and powdered sugar, then drizzle over the cake. Enjoy warm or cold. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…