This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
This past weekend I hosted a monthly ‘cooking club’, and it took me forever to choose what dish I wanted to try. After much debate, I decided to try my best at these Chocolate Monster Cookie Bars. They were a huge success!
How it works is, a bunch of ladies and I get together once a month for the ‘cooking club’. We take turns hosting it, and the host gets to pick the theme. Such as ‘comfort food’, and ingredient like ‘tomatoes’, or you could get really fun and do ‘red’ themed. Do you wanna take a guess at the theme I picked last week? Yup – CHOCOLATE! Oh. My. Gosh! There were so many delicious foods there with some form of chocolate, it was like Heaven! Plus, a few hours of chatting with a bunch of friends for a ladies night out is a BLAST!
So these Chocolate Monster Cookie Bars were totally an experiment, and I was so nervous giving it a try! I wanted to make something similar to my Chocolate Monster Cake, but in cookie form. Honestly, the individual cookie attempt was a failure, but the cookie BARS were fabulous. Woot Woot!
These actually require a few mini steps, so be sure to read through the entire recipe before beginning!
Ingredients – Malt Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 5 tbsp. Butter, slightly softened
- 3 tbsp. Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Mix
- 3 oz. White Chocolate, melted
Directions – Malt Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 275 Degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the Milk Powder, Flour, Sugar, Cornstarch, and Salt. Cut the butter into small bits and use a fork to ‘cut’ it into the mixture. It will be clumpy…this is good!
- Spread mixture on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the crumbs are very lightly tanned. Remove and allow to cool.
- Mix the Malt Crumbs with the Ovaltine.
- Drizzle the White Chocolate over the mixture and toss lightly to coat.
Ingredients – Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg, large
- 5 tbsp. Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Mix
- 2 tbsp. Water
- 1 cup Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- Malt Crumbs (made above – you will only use 1 cup)
- 1-2 cups Mini Marshmallows
Directions – Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Spray two cookie sheets, set aside.
- In a bowl, use a fork to ‘smoosh’ the Butter, Brown Sugar and regular Sugar together. Mix in the Vanilla and Egg.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (except marshmallows) until well-combined, then gently mix in 1 cup Malt Crumbs.
- Spread the batter among the two cookie sheets. Bake for about 25-35 minutes, or until the middle is hardly jiggly. *while cooking, make the sauce recipe below*
- Allow to cool about 15 minutes. Spray an 8×8 deep baking pan.
- Take half the ‘cookie’ from one of the baking sheets and line the baking pan. Spread 1/4 of the Sauce Mixture over the layer. Add the remaining half ‘cookie’ from that first baking sheet, spread another 1/4 of the Sauce Mixture over the layer. Repeat for a total of FOUR layers. Spread the Mini Marshmallows over the top of the final layer.
- Chill in the fridge overnight, then remove about 3-4 hours before serving. Enjoy – warm or cold!
Ingredients – Sauce
- 2 2/3 cup Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Mix
- 8 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate Bits
- 2 tsp. Molasses
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 cups Jet Puffed dried marshmallows (near the ice cream toppings)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup Sugar
Directions – Sauce
- In a large bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the Heavy Cream, Corn Syrup and Sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- While still hot, pour mixture over the large bowl. Allow to sit one minute (to melt the chocolate), then stir until glossy.
Exclusive Free Printables & Discounts!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email, as well as free printables, discounts on our products and more fun!