This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone.
Hello, and Happy Friday! This is Steph from Steph in Thyme, and today I’m sharing a recipe for a flavorful and fluffy Honey and Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread. This cornbread is subtly sweet and packed with golden corn for a delicious gluten-free breakfast or snack.
I fell in love with thick, hearty slabs of golden cornbread while living in Montgomery, Alabama – twice (dad was in the USAF for 30 years). Still warm from the oven, slathered with sweet cream butter or fresh berry jam. Sigh. The stuff of dreams, my food friends.
One thing I noticed about cornbread is that it can sometimes be very sweet — almost dessert-like. Also, many slabs I encountered didn’t have any corn in the bread. Maybe I’m taking things too literally, but I want CORN in my cornbread!
This Gluten-Free Cornbread is subtly sweetened with honey, which gives each slice just enough sweetness without going overboard. This cornbread also has a full cup of golden corn kernels, so you get corn with each and every bite. Buttermilk gives this bread an almost creamy fluffiness. You would never guess it’s gluten-free.
In place of all-purpose flour, I used Gluten-Free Bisquick. Yes – Bisquick comes GLUTEN-FREE. It makes wonderful pancakes, cobbler topping, and more. Other than that, there are no “special” gluten-free ingredients. Easy peasy.
This Gluten-Free Cornbread is thick, fluffy, light, moist, has good crumb – all those wonderful things about cornbread…but gluten-free.
My favorite way to savor every morsel is with a spoonful of Blackberry Chia Seed Jam I recently made. The touch of almond extract and berry bursting flavor are a heavenly combination with this glorious Gluten-Free Cornbread.
Honey and Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Bisquick
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow corn kernels fresh, or thawed and drained if from frozen
- 1 tbsp cold butter for the top of the cornbread before it cooks
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Coat a 8x8 dish or a pie dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. Set aside to cool until the butter is slightly warm, not piping hot.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, honey, and applesauce. Add the melted butter until well combined. Finally, add the buttermilk and whisk again to combine.
- Make a large well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well. Begin whisking in circular motions, pulling in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly until all ingredients are combined.
- Fold in the corn kernels. Pour the cornmeal batter into the oiled dish. Slice the tablespoon of cold butter into six pieces and arrange around the top of the cornbread.
- Bake at 375 F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Slice and serve - it's best served warm!