Another holiday has come and gone and while it's nice to indulge a bit (can…
Hello! This is Stephanie from Steph in Thyme, and today I’m sharing a recipe for a hearty slaw perfect for fall. Loaded with kale, purple cabbage, carrots and tossed in a tangy shallot vinaigrette, this easy Kale, Cabbage, and Carrot Fall Slaw is a nutrient dense and colorful side dish.
Just because fall is here doesn’t mean we have to bid adieu to slaw. One of my favorite fall/winter variations embraces deep colors and flavors of seasonal vegetables – curly kale, carrots, and purple cabbage.
To save time and whip up this side dish quickly, I turn to my food processor to finely chop all the ingredients. A few pulses does the trick to evenly chop the vegetables while also leaving enough texture so the slaw isn’t mushy.
I have found that one bunch of curly kale, one small head of purple cabbage, and 4-6 medium carrots are a good ratio of both color and flavor. Of course, you can tweak the ratios per your taste preference and according to the size veggies you purchase.
The shallot vinaigrette is light and tangy, adding a zippy flavor to the deep and earthy flavors of the vegetables.
1/3 cup of olive oil seems like a lot, but this is a dense salad. 1/3 cup stretches the vinaigrette enough to completely coat the ingredients without drowning them.
I chill this slaw in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving to allow all the flavors to meld. This slaw is tasty as a side to pretty much anything and is even delicious added to salads for additional texture and flavor.
Kale, Cabbage, and Carrot Fall Slaw
For the slaw
- 1 bunch curly kale ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 small head purple cabbage core removed, finely chopped
- 4-6 medium carrots peeled and finely chopped
For the dressing
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 tsp gluten-free dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the kale and shake/pat dry or dry using a salad spinner. Remove the tough inner ribs. Working in batches, pulse a few times in a food processor until finely chopped (not minced into super tiny pieces, enough to have texture). Pour the chopped kale into a large bowl.
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the head of cabbage. Slice in half and trim away the white, tough inner core. Slice into chunks and load into a food processor, working in batches depending on the size of your food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add chopped cabbage to the bowl of kale.
- Peel the carrots and trim the ends. Slice into 1" pieces and pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the carrots to the bowl of cabbage and kale.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the minced shallots and dijon mustard. Add the red wine vinegar and whisk to combine. Very slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking vigorously as you do so, to emulsify the vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the slaw.
- Toss slaw and dressing until combined and well coated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to allow all the flavors to meld. Toss and adjust salt and pepper seasoning before serving.
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…