If you’re looking for something a little different than your typical sandwich, these Poppy Seed Chicken Pitas are just the ticket. Fresh, flavorful with a perfect texture that’ll leave the whole family asking for more. They’re also easy to make ahead of time, so putting them in lunches for school (or work) make the morning rush a little bit easier!
Note: Makes 8 Pitas
- 4 Wholegrain Pita Breads, cut into halves (8 pita pockets)
- 2 heaping cups cooked Chicken (I used 2 (1.5 oz.) cans of Chicken Breasts)
- ½ cup chopped Celery
- ¼ cup chopped Red Onion or Scallions
- ¼ cup chopped Walnuts (you can use pecans, almonds, hazelnuts too)
- 2 heaped tbsp. chopped dried Apricots (or dried Cranberries)
- Torn Lettuce to serve
- 1 tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Grainy Mustard (or use Dijon Mustard)
- Salt & freshly cracked Pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, mayonnaise, mustard, poppy seed, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken, celery, onion, walnuts and apricots into the bowl. Toss it well with the dressing, till everything is well mixed.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. The chicken salad is ready. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve, toast the pita halves in a toaster oven for 2 to 3 minutes at 400 Degrees F.
- Stuff the toasted pitas with torn lettuce and about ¼ cup of the poppy seed chicken salad. Serve immediately.
- The chicken salad can be prepared ahead of time – it actually tastes better the next day& makes great leftovers, too.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken, poached or grilled chicken chunks can be used, too.
- Instead of dried apricots, dried cranberries or even raisins can be used.
- Instead of walnuts, use any nuts of choice like pecans, almonds or hazelnuts.
- If allergic to nuts, pepitas/pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds are good alternatives.
What’s your favorite type of chicken salad?
This content may contain affiliate links. We earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. We may earn money, free services or complementary products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are ours alone…